I had been looking forward to this episode special for weeks, so I took the time to watch the episode....BOY did it get me good! I'm going to explain different segments of the event based on The Trial episode.
I wanted to get more personality from the Diamonds since the episode 'That Will Be All', other than their character development from their loss for Pink Diamond; so it's a good start from this first portion. During the trial the Diamonds now see that Rose Quartz had taken 'a new form', and so the trial starts. The Green Zircon explains the scenario that we know; Rose Quartz cared for the humans on Earth, had a shield and healing powers, and made Steven. Yellow Diamond seemed real eager to shatter Steven's gem, but Blue Diamond insisted that the defense would present their case. When Blue Zircon tried to present her case Steven spoke up to say 'I did it. My name is Rose Quartz and I plead guilty!'.
Yellow Diamond gave a smirk before stating that Rose Quartz should be executed now, but Blue Diamond (because of her merciful nature) needed to know how Rose Quartz shattered Pink Diamond. That's the question that every Steven Universe fan had in mind throughout a couple of seasons since it was mentioned; how did Rose Quartz shatter Pink Diamond? Many theories of this were 'She didn't shatter Pink Diamond' or 'Pearl did it for Rose Quartz', but now these theories were proven to be false because of Steven's answer; he doesn't know.
When he mentioned that he must've used the Breaking Point to do it Blue Diamond, in an emotional rage, shouted that it was a sword. Blue Zircon now has evidence to present her case because this story 'doesn't make sense'.
After their short recess the Blue Zircon starts explaining that the Rose Quartz couldn't have done the crime without doing so under highest authority. The Pink Diamond had stepped out of her Palanquin before she was struck from the front. Something else that was strange about the case was this; where are her Agates, Sapphires, and her Pink Pearl? Surely the Pink Pearl would stick with her Diamond like glue, but she wasn't around to warn her about the attack. As Blue Zircon pointed this out, Yellow Diamond's discomfort began to show; she stated that the entourage was with her this whole time and saw everything. However if they were there the whole time the commencement of the shatter wouldn't have happened.
"Someone who has done this was already close to Pink Diamond."
Surely I now know that it was a Diamond who commanded that Rose Quartz to attack Pink Diamond and shatter her, however....WHICH ONE?
My theory for this trial's suspects could be one of the following:
- Yellow Diamond
- Surely after the Blue Zircon pointed out that it could've been one of the Diamonds the Yellow Diamond stood up and destroyed the Zircons' physical forms; both Blue AND Green.
- Yellow Diamond kept insisting that Rose Quartz was to be shattered throughout the whole trial.
- During 'That Will Be All' with her song to Blue Diamond it could've been titled of 'What's the Use of Feeling, Blue?'
- During the song she kept mentioning to Blue that they should be 'rid of it all' and 'make our plan of attack'.
- Why it May be False:
- She says and shows that she misses Pink Diamond too in 'That Will Be All', but it could be false.
- She shows resentment for Blue Diamond when she heard about the humans being collected for her zoo, in which she states that they can collect more humans before the Earth would be demolished by the Cluster.
- Yes, the trial took place where the Diamonds have to determine whether Rose Quartz was guilty; but White Diamond had never showed up.
- We never saw her at all except for the murals on the walls back on the Moon base.
- Why it May be False:
- Since our Pearl was originated from White Diamond's court (the gem was on her forehead), and that she found out this statement in 'Back To the Moon', she could be with her Diamond at the time before she joined the Crystal Gems.
- White Diamond may have dismissed her Pearl before the time came for Pink Diamond's shatter.
For why the culprit would do such a thing I wouldn't have a clue, but I hope the answers will come soon.